We are thrilled to announce that the National Lottery Heritage Fund has confirmed funding for our lake restoration project. The full press release is below.
Work has now begun on-site and Ebsford have started the key tasks in January 2021 .
The project will focus on biodiversity and will include:
- Installing aeration equipment which will stop silt building up and slowly, over time, reduce the amount of silt currently the lake, altogether improving lake water quality
- Restoring and improving lake edges
- Lake margin, island and woodland understorey planting
- Bird and bat boxes
- Improving the surface around the Beacon
- Introducing more seating including picnic tables
- Create a viewing platform, and fishing pegs
- Improved footpaths
- Tree works (which have already taken place), due to tree condition or where trees are damaging the lake banks for example
- Access for occasional boating
- Public art with interpretations, for example information about the wildlife, habitat, history of the lake and how to get involved
Importantly, the project will bring about an increase in activities, events and volunteering opportunities centred on the lake, building on those already enjoyed due to the original Boultham Park Restoration Project.
We’ve consulted with people about the sort of activities they would like to see, and the most popular were biodiversity activities, community events and activities, and occasional boating. We’ve developed an Activities Plan aimed at increasing enjoyment of the park, volunteering and training opportunities, engaging with a wider audience, and supporting the lake’s management and care of its wildlife and habitats.
We are very grateful to the NLHF, and to National Lottery players, for funding the project development work and for contributing almost £660,000 to restoring our wonderful lake, and for all that they have enabled to happen in the park so far #ThanksToYou
We are also indebted to Lincolnshire Wildlife Trust is our partner on this project, and for the expert advice and support they are providing. We are also grateful, as always, for the support of the Boultham Park Advisory Group whose enthusiasm for the park and the lake help to drive us forward.
If you would like to find more about our project, or want to get involved as a volunteer then you can contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone us on 01522 873607.
DO YOU HAVE OLD PHOTOS, DOCUMENTS OR MEMORIES OF THE LAKE? We’d love to hear from you so we can add them to our archive. We might even be able to use them in activities or on an information board, with your permission. Please get in touch at email@example.com or telephone 01522 873607 – leave your details and we’ll call you back. Thank you!