In August we submitted a bid to the National Lottery Heritage Fund (who also funded the development work) to restore and improve our lake. We’ll know the outcome by the end of the year. If successful, we’ll be on site in 2020. The project will focus on biodiversity and will include:
- Installing aeration equipment which will stop silt building up and slowly, over time, reduce the amount of silt currently the lake, altogether improving lake water quality
- Restoring and improving lake edges
- Lake margin, island and woodland understorey planting
- Bird and bat boxes
- Improving the surface around the Beacon
- Introducing more seating including picnic tables
- Create a viewing platform, and fishing pegs
- Improved footpaths
- Tree works, due to tree condition or where trees are damaging the lake banks for example
- Access for occasional boating
- Public art with interpretations, for example information about the wildlife, habitat, history of the lake and how to get involved
Importantly, the project will bring about an increase in activities, events and volunteering opportunities centred on the lake, building on those already enjoyed due to the original Boultham Park Restoration Project.
We’ve consulted with people about the sort of activities they would like to see, and the most popular were biodiversity activities, community events and activities, and occasional boating. We’ve developed an Activities Plan aimed at increasing enjoyment of the park, volunteering and training opportunities, engaging with a wider audience, and supporting the lake’s management and care of its wildlife and habitats.
We are very grateful that Lincolnshire Wildlife Trust is our partner on this project, and for the expert advice and support they are providing. We are also grateful, as always, for the support of the Boultham Park Advisory Group whose enthusiasm for the park and the lake help to drive us forward.
We are also very grateful to the NLHF, and to National Lottery players, for funding the development work and for all that they have enabled in the park so far #ThanksToYou
IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO FIND OUT MORE ABOUT OUR PLANS FOR THE PROJECT, OR HOW YOU CAN GET INVOLVED, CONTACT firstname.lastname@example.org or via Customer Services on Lincoln 873423.